With the original construction of the convent and church completed in 1612 and 1613, the site was taken during the Dutch occupation, undergoing transformations in order to be converted into a fortress, known as Fort Ernestus or the “Fortress of the Convent.”The structure was later expanded and repaired following the expulsion of the Dutch and the return of the friars.
In the Baroque style, the Church of Saint Anthony underwent renovations in 1753 and 1770, which gave it its current layout. Its façade follows a triangular framing and is composed of a portico with five carved stone arches; its single tower is set back in relation to the plane of the façade, creating a diagonal shift in the composition—a characteristically Baroque effect.
The Church of Saint Anthony is clad in tiles, features bell windows with straight lintels, and includes a German clock on the northern side, while, on the left side, a large arcade with an iron railing separates the Conventual Church from the Golden Chapel. The convent’s cloister is surrounded by a corridor of arcades supported by stone columns. The walls are lined with Portuguese tile panels from the mid-19th century, depicting scenes from the biblical Book of Genesis.