Originally consisting of a chapel with an adjoining house built between 1710 and 1716, the current Igreja e Convento de Nossa Senhora do Carmo was constructed between 1776 and 1782, receiving seven Triumph sculptures brought from Rio de Janeiro. The church is divided into the main altar, the area reserved for the resident religious community, and the space for the faithful.